I started with the Sweet-and-Smoky Barbecue Sauce1 and then added my own extras to the sauce, like apple juice. I call it the Apple Pie BBQ Sauce, because it reminds me of the spices and flavors in an apple pie. The sauce combines well with my Apple pie rub.
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp rum
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp applewood liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 cups ketchup
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients except the ketchup in a non reactive pan.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes until everything dissolves. Stir constantly.
- Add ketchup slowly to avoid splattering
- Add salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil stirring frequently
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes until the sauce thickens and darkens. Stir frequently.
- Use the sauce right away or transfer to cans and refrigerate. Sauce should keep for several months
Should make about 6 cups. Should looks something like the image below when done: